Skip to main content

05. Eliphalet Oram Lyte, Principal

 Digital Record
Identifier: Eliphalet Oram Lyte Photograph

Dates

  • Existence: 1887-1912

Summary Note

Dr. Lyte entered the normal school in 1866 after serving in the Civil War and teaching for two years. He became a professor of rhetoric and bookkeeping in 1868 and later a professor of pedagogy and grammar before being named principal in 1887. His 44-year association with the school ended with his resignation because of ill health, and he died a few months later. He is credited with the first building boom at Millersville, designing and directing the construction of the Science Building (since removed), the Library (now Biemesderfer Executive Center), and the Gymnasium (now Dutcher Hall). He oversaw construction the Model School, formerly Myers Hall and now Charles and Mary Hash Building, and several additions to Old Main. He also was a prolific writer of music, including the famous round, "Row, Row, Row Your Boat."

Rights Statement Note

This image may be used only for non-commercial educational purposes. Commercial publication requires permission and is subject to a fee. Contact Millersville University Archives, Millersville University, Millersville, PA 17551 (717) 872-3624 or special.collections@millersville.edu

Repository Details

Part of the Millersville University Archives Repository

Contact:
Library, PO BOX 1002
Millersville 17551-302 US
717-872-3624
717-872-3854 (Fax)